It’s been a few years since I’ve heard about Airbnb. I have created my Airbnb account since 2016. While I was planning my one week in Japan trip, I actually looked for a great place to stay in the Airbnb app. In the end, we decided to just book the Infinity Hotel Dome Osaka. It was one of the most unique hotels we’ve stayed at. There was no staff and have a self-check-in and self check-out system. It sounds a bit complicated but it was not. They will email you all the details you need to know before your trip. My favorite part about it is that it looks like a Japanese apartment which made it a memorable experience for us. It is a similar experience to Airbnb but the only difference is we have booked it through booking.com. This 2020, I finally decided to try my first Airbnb experience
Traveling to Cebu or Asia? Check out these amazing Asia tours available 🙂
*This site contains affiliate links. I may receive commissions when you make a purchase from the link I have provided with no additional cost to you as a consumer. I only recommend product or services that I use and enjoy.*
First Airbnb Experience
I’ve always been hesitant to book a place through Airbnb. I’ve heard so many Airbnb horror stories that I did not want to risk it. I always want a stress-free trip as much as possible. Even if I always find several great places with several great reviews in Airbnb, I still prefer booking a hotel. However, on our recent trip, I finally decided to try it out and had my first Airbnb experience in Cebu. I’ve always liked how you can find so much more affordable accommodation in Airbnb rather than hotels.
Are you going to try your first Airbnb experience too? Use my referral code and get 43 USD or 2200 PHP on your first stay in Airbnb.
One of the reasons why I prefer booking a hotel at booking.com is because they offer free cancellation. I have used their free cancellation option a lot of times when our trip to Korea was canceled and when we needed to change the dates for our trip to Shanghai. Airbnb does not have a free cancelation option so when you book, you must be sure of the travel dates.
Airbnb in Cebu
We booked with Angel. Her condo unit is at Avenir Condominium. The location is perfect since it is a walking distance to IT Park and Business Park.
The first thing that came to my mind when I first saw the room was that it looked better in real life than the photos. The room was so big and spacious and it can accommodate up to four people. The check-in time was anytime after 2 P.M. We were arriving in Cebu at 6 A.M, I have messaged the hosts asking if they have storage space to store our luggage before check-in time. The host was really responsive, she told me that as much as they want to accommodate my request, she cannot store our luggage before our check-in time.
Fortunately, another great option is to go to the traveler’s lounge in SM City Cebu. We have 2 cabin-sized luggage and one big backpack and we only paid 50 PHP (1 USD) to store our things. Aside from luggage storage, they also offer services like showers, phone charging, massage chairs, and many more.
Angel’s place did not have any closet but there was some space where you can hang your clothes. Several hangers were also provided. One of the things I liked about this place is there is also Netflix available. Angel also provides iron for clothes so no need to worry if the clothes have creases. There’s a small dining area as well where we can have some breakfast.
Kitchen and Bathroom
Angel’s place also has a small kitchen area. She provides a microwave oven and heater. It’s perfect to make our coffee in the morning and when we need to reheat our food. The utensils can be found on the cabinets.
The bathroom was not too spacious nor it was too small. It’s just the right size. She also provided toiletries such as shampoo and toothpaste. There’s also a hairdryer in the bathroom which was really great.
I really had a great time staying at Angel’s place and would stay here again on our next trip to Cebu. There are a lot of shopping malls and cafes near her place. I love the panoramic view of Cebu from the room. The wifi is really great as well. I really enjoyed my first Airbnb experience and I would definitely try renting apartments more on our future trips. It made our Cebu trip much more enjoyable and memorable.
Tips for First Airbnb Experience
If you are booking Airbnb for the first time, here are some things that you should know.
- Read the reviews of the host. By reading the reviews of guests who stayed with the host, you will have an idea of what to expect. Try to check for the cancellation review. Some hosts cancel their guest booking months before their trip but some of them cancel just a few days before.
- As much as possible, try to look for superhosts. Angel was a super host so that is one of the main reasons why I booked her place. Superhosts have great reviews and highly rated by guests so you are assured that you won’t be scammed.
- Check for extra fees before booking. Most hosts charge service and cleaning fee. Most hosts hire cleaners to make sure that the place is in the best condition for guests.
- Make sure to message your hosts if you have any inquiries or concerns. You can ask them if they provide toiletries, or if there is wifi, etc.
- Lastly, do not message the host outside of the Airbnb app. If you encounter a problem with the Airbnb place you booked, you can always report it to Airbnb. For example, the hosts said that the place has fast wifi and a spacious room. If the place is not what the host promised, you can report it to Airbnb and the message in the app can be used as evidence. Airbnb can give you a refund depending on the situation so that it is fair to both hosts and guests.
Like this Post? Pin this for Later!
Have you tried Airbnb? How was your experience with Airbnb? Are you also hesitant to book your first Airbnb experience? Let me know your thoughts in the comments 🙂
Thank you for reading! If you love to read more content like this, subscribe to my blog so you won’t miss a new post.